Saturday, October 3, 2009

Ugly Lis















Well, needless to say, my first assignment in grad school was definitely a challenge! I was asked to produce a self portrait. Easy enough, right?

Wrong!

The image had to encapsulate both how my best friend and my worst enemy saw me. This brought back a flood of memories and, sadly, I immediately thought of my worst enemy before my BFF (whoever said happy memories outweigh the bad ones was full of it). I began to feverishly put my pencil to the paper and came up with numerous thumbnails of myself as a stuck-up, full of themselves, fashionista vs. a cat-loving, lazy, LOST obsessed couch potato (whoops, I guess the secret to my true self secret is out). The sketch was cute and very editorial. It totally could have worked in a fashion magazine.

However, I have a feeling that the people giving me feedback aren't the biggest fans of fashion magazines! Haha. Basically, I was told my sketch was "shallow" (I immediately thought 'OMG, you have totally been hanging out with my worst enemy haven't you?!'). The advice I was given was to be "darker" and try to find an ugly side to myself.

Well, the above image is a snapshot the end result. UGLY ENOUGH FOR YOU? Haha.

All in all, I am glad I was pushed to try something else because regardless of whether it shows how my BFF or worst enemy sees me, I think it turned out kind of cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Lis is a professional illustrator based out of Savannah, GA. She is a self described fashionista, former sorority girl, and avid celebrity gossip follower whose penchant for all things feminine and girly is reflected in her work. For more info on the artist, please visit www.lissartori.com, and to contact Lis, feel free to email her at lis@lissartori.com

Followers

Simple theme. Powered by Blogger.